|Members of the SEL Task Force at a recent goal setting meeting.|
Medfield Gets a "Great" Review from DESE!
"Medfield had a great Coordinated Program Review.", was how the meeting with DESE's Matthew Nixon began. Nixon was in Medfield last week to review the report with School Committee Vice Chair Jessica Reilly, Director of Student Services Mary Bruhl and me. Mr. Nixon spoke highly of the students, staff, parents and programs in the district.
The CPR takes place every six years to review the compliance with Special Education, English Language Learners, and Civil Rights. Each of these focus areas has many criteria for compliance. After the document review and onsite visit, DESE provides districts with recommendations to get the district into full compliance. In my over 25 years in education, I've seen this process move from a "gotcha" to the current and much appreciated collaborative process of assistance. There are findings of non-compliance in every CPR and we were no different. Some items were partially implemented and a few were not implemented. We will have one year to correct any items not fully implemented with most just requiring a tweak to our current practice.
A special thank you to our Special Education Department, ELL Educators, and office staff for their many hours preparing for the review and uploading the required documents. The full report will be available on the DESE website and on our website in the next 7-10 days. In addition, a presentation by Mary Bruhl will take place at the November 5th School Committee meeting.
School Cancellations, Delays, Dismissals...
We will once again utilize the Blackboard-Connect System to notify parents if school is closed, delayed, or dismissed early. The phone call will be sent to each household and parent cell phone number that is currently on file with the district.
|Yes...it will be here soon.|
In addition to the phone call, the announcement will appear on:
- Twitter @JeffreyJMarsden (I actually do this first...so follow me!)
- Facebook (Medfield Public Schools page is linked to Twitter)
- Television Stations: Boston 25, WBZ 4, WCVB 5, and WHDH 7
- Our district website: www.medfield.net
Did You Know?
- Meghan Glenn was recently appointed to the Medfield School Committee during a joint meeting of the Medfield Board of Selectmen and Medfield School Committee.
- Medfield was well represented at the recent MassCue Conference held at Gillette Stadium. Marjorie Heim, Diane Horvath, Neal Sonnenberg, Kerry Cowell, Julie Lowerre, Kelly Bertschmann, Christy Callahan, Marissa Foley, Maura Condon, Bethany Robertson, Steve Grenham, 6th grade student Adeline Keaveney and School Committee member Leo Brehm all presented at the two day conference attended by over a thousand educators.
- Anna Mae O'Shea Brooke and Jessica Reilly of the Medfield School Committee will hold an "Office Hour" on 10/25 at the Blake LMC from 7:00PM-8:00PM.
- The Superintendent's Parent Advisory on October 24 at 9:30 in the Blake LMC will focus on our Challenge Success initiative. Special thanks to the MHS PTO and MCPE for their support.
- The Medfield SEL website is a great resource for parents and educators.
|Congratulations to Diane Horvath for receiving a 2018 Pathfinder Award!|